Download a year’s worth of weekly action steps to improve your leadership for FREE!
Maj. Gen. Diana Holland commands the Mississippi Valley Division of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and serves as president of the Mississippi River Commission. She is responsible for water resources engineering solutions in a 370,000-square-mile area, extending from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico and encompassing portions of 12 states. Her division serves the Mississippi Valley region, strengthens our nation’s security, energizes the economy, and reduces risks from disasters. Full bio: https://www.mvd.usace.army.mil/About/Leadership/Bio-Article-View/Article/2240852/major-general-diana-m-holland/
- You won’t always bring to your team what your predecessor brought. So, while you do need to fill the role, it might look different.
- You need to be the leader the organization needs, not the leader you may have been in the past.
- The higher you go in an organization, the less it is about you.
- Be yourself but be self-aware.
QUESTIONS TO INSPIRE US TO ACTION
- What is some lesson, saying, or experience that continues to influence your leadership to this day? Thinking about the word/term that describes you or how you want to be remembered.
- Use three descriptors to finish this sentence: “A leader is…” Visionary, communicator, and present.
- What is a question that leaders should be asking either themselves or others? What is it that I do for the organization that only I can do?
- What book would you recommend to leaders? Leading with Heart by Mike Krzyzewski
- If you could get every listener to start doing something THIS week to help them be a better leader, what would it be? Find a mentor or be a mentor.
- As a general life principle, is it better to ask “why?” or “why not?” “Why?” is the best thing to ask in any conversation. It helps break you away from your assumptions.
CONNECT WITH DIANA
- LinkedIn: @diana-holland
CONNECT WITH JOSH
Interview with David Pittman: https://www.lifeasleadership.com/episode/formal-authority-vs-moral-authority-with-david-pittman/
Want a FREE list of weekly action steps to improve your leadership? Download the Leadership Action List TODAY!